Re: www subdomain

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: www subdomain
Posted by:  Mark Goodge (usen…@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk)
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 22:21:45 -0400, j put finger to keyboard and typed:

>WWW subdomains
>
>Google recommends, and I see that many major sites are complying, with
>not having duplicate content on a subdomain. At least that is my take on it.
>
>So, if you have www.some-domain.com and some-domain.com, traffic on
>some-domain.com gets a 301 to www.some-domain.com
>
>Can anyone shed some light on why this is being done?

I think you're slightly misunderstanding it. While it's common practice to
have a site respond to both http://example.com and http://www.example.com,
for the sake of people who either prefer to use the 'www' prefix or not and
tend to type in URLs manually, Google's recommendation is that you choose
one or the other to be the canonical version and make sure it's clear which
is which. You can do that via the "rel='canonical'" meta tag, and via both
Google and Bing's webmaster tools.

That way, although both versions of the site will be fully functional to
users, only one of them will appear in search results and you won't get a
duplicate content penalty by any of the search engines.

On a more general note, the search engines recommend that in any situation
where you legitimately have the same content on two different pages (for
example, a news article could be filed both by date and by topic) that you
pick just one of its possible URLs and tag that as canonical. That way, you
avoid any duplicate content penalty.

Mark

--
Please take a short survey on salary perceptions:http://meyu.eu/am