Re: Site backup in the "cloud"?

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Site backup in the "cloud"?
Posted by:  MD34 (marty…@gmail.com)
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 19:25:45 -0500, Ignoramus15569
<ignoramus155…@NOSPAM.15569.invalid> wrote:

>I have a certain kids website that has appx. 110,000 pageviews per day
>and it has become a quite valuable source of income and pride for me and
>whatnot.
>
>It currently runs happily on one server, that I own. If the server
>dies, I could run it at home, but there is not enough bandwidth.
>
>I am thinking about backup solutions. One way to go is to buy an
>expensive server (read $3-5k), host it at the ISP (read $120+ in power
>and rack charges), etc.
>
>Another option is to rent a cloud server at Amazon or wherever, set it
>up and essentially mothball it, maybe wake up once a week for system
>updates, etc. If I never need it, I will pay nominal charges. If I do
>need it, I would just activate it.
>
>Has anyone considered doing that sort of thing -- having backup in the
>cloud -- and what are your experiences?

Y not just host it? Lunar has dedicated servers from  $89 per month.
I'm sure you'll find disagreement, but I've been happy with them

Be safe with Mozy.com or carbonite.com as a backup to the backup

Or just FTP the pages back to you with a cron job?