Re: Who's best to buy a hearing aid from? A salesman, a dispenser or an audiologist?

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Who's best to buy a hearing aid from? A salesman, a dispenser or an audiologist?
Posted by:  wgd.roami…@verizon.net
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008

Ken:

Here is my take on your "from whom to buy" question.  Forgive me, I
have not read the other replies so that what I add/say will not be
tainted, so to speak.

1.  Doctors should NOT sell aids.  They should specify what type or
types of aids would be best for their patient.  They should NOT have a
vested interest in a piece of hardware.  They should charge for a
chart.  MR noted that $14.oo is not enough for the preparation of a
chart (understood that Medicare pays $14.oo) considering that he/she
has a medical degree.  So...?  The act of preparing a chart is not
rocket science.  The act of diagnosing a patient's hearing problems
DOES require proper training, an MD for example.

2. Buyer Beware.  Buying from a Salesman can work IF the salesmen is
vested with a sound work ethic.  MR, a doctor, says he is also a
salesmen. What does he mean, how does he define a salesman.

3. IMHO, a salesman and a dispenser are one in the same.  Both are
expected to have certain training, understanding of what they are
offering.  They have vested interests in what they are offering.
Speaking from experience (hi-tech, but NOT hearing aids), like classic
dealers, "salesmen" and dispensers have virtually unlimited access to
product.  It is in their best interest to match a chart to a product.
CICs vs BTE and so forth.  Now when it comes to what CIC or what BTE,
features and associated dollars come into play, like buying a car or a
house.

4.  Audiologists are a not so gentle mix of doctor and
dispener/salesman.  With certain training behind them, I see them more
closely in a doctor's camp versus a "salesman/dispenser".  ENTs,
really doctors, fall into my postion #1 above.  With an audiologist in
the next room, they have a vested interest in what products fill the
cabinet, thus falling into the salesman/dispenser category.

- A coin toss when it comes to salesman/dispensers
- Audiologists, with an ENT in the next room, fall in doctor class.
- Stand-alone audiologists fall in to the coin-toss arena with
salesman/dispensers.

This should stir some feathers.

Wayne in Very Sunny, Very Pleasant today, Sarasota.