Re: Searching On Phone Numbers

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Searching On Phone Numbers
Posted by:  Mark Goodge (usen…@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk)
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 17:31:44 -0800, Coffee's For Closers put finger to
keyboard and typed:

>I am expanding one of my sites, with the aim of attracting more
>organic search engine traffic.
>
>Let's say that, you receive a phone message, without a clear
>indication of the caller's identity.  But, either they leave a
>number to call back, or there is a number saved on your Caller
>ID.
>
>Then, you go online - to Google or whatever search engine you
>favour - and you input the phone number to investigate.
>
>How would search with that string?
>
>123-456-7890
>
>(123) 456-7890

To Google, those two are identical.

>456-7890

To Google, that's a substring of the previous two.

>4567890

To Google, that's different to all the previous examples.

>Phone number 123 area code 456-7890
>
>Etc, etc, etc...
>
>Yes, I know that there are a few consumer-driven directories like
>this.
>
>But, I want to know how to format the text for my site, to draw
>some traffic to help people understand the
>nature/background/details of a phone number that they found on
>Caller ID, or in a paper communication.  This includes people
>searching with extra terms with words that they think might be
>relevant to the phone number.

Unless you're really pressed for space, there's no reason to display
it only once. I'd say that if you want people to be able to find you
by Googling your phone number (effectively using Google as a
reverse-search directory), then it's a good idea to display the number
a coouple of times, once in the generally accepted format for phone
numbers where you live, and once in the format that it will appear in
their caller ID. Include keywords like "Contact" and "phone" on the
same page, and that should make it easy enough to find.

Mark

--
Blog:http://mark.goodge.co.uk
Stuff:http://www.good-stuff.co.uk