verb "to pain" -- " we as an organisation pained on the name for some time."

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: verb "to pain" -- " we as an organisation pained on the name for some time."
Posted by:  Hen Hanna (henhan…@gmail.com)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016

On Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 7:08:44 AM UTC-7, HVS wrote:
> On 09 Jun 2016, LFS wrote
>
> >  From a letter in today's' Oxford Times, from an organiser of a recent
> > festival in response to criticism of the festival name:
> >
> > " we as an organisation pained on the name for some time."
> >
> > I don't think I've ever come across this usage before.
> >

> New to me as well.  (I don't think I'll be adopting it.)
>
> --
> Cheers, Harvey
> CanEng and BrEng, indiscriminately mixed

very common as adj. --- (adj.)  affected with pain, especially mental pain; hurt or troubled.
          "a pained expression came over his face"

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pain#Verb

Gospel Mela 2016: Prayer points for 24-hour chain prayer on March 30
          The christianmessenger-Mar 27, 2016
Are we pained by this fact? An estimated 30.8 percent of the unreached people groups in the world reside in India. We need to pray for them.

Van Gogh: The Courage & the Cunning
        The New York Review of Books-Jan 16, 2015
It turned out that Vincent's obstinacy and sheer otherness, much as they pained friends and family and alienated strangers, bought him the ...

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pain#Verb

        It pains me to say that I must let you go.

it sounds old & British.  HH