Re: nowhere else

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: nowhere else
Posted by:  Don Phillipson (e9…@SPAMBLOCK.ncf.ca)
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014

"Lazypierrot" <lazypierr…@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:4ae36e0b-43b4-4853-97ee-2fae4a0771…@googlegroups.com...

<<
Hi I would like to know the meaning of the last phrase of the following
sentence; "nowhere else."  I wonder if it means something like "nowhere
other than this."

About 700 Aboriginal groups lived on the Australian Continent when Europeans
first arrived -- somewhere between three hundred thousand and one-and-a-half
million people.  Each of these 700 groups had its own area of land, given
especially for that group by their gods. This was the land they had rights
and responsibilities for...nowhere else.

This phrase is normal English rhetoric (written or oral).
In order to add emphasis, it restates the meaning
of the main clause but differently (in a negated form.)

This sort of rhetoric is justified by Australia's unique
status as an island continent.  Whether its first inhabitants
arrived by boat or afoot, it was effectively isolated from the
rest of the world:  so that by the 18th century AD Australian
aborigines controlled all Australia and "nowhere else," since
they had no boats capable of traveling anywhere else.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs