Re: picture or pictures?

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: picture or pictures?
Posted by:  meirman (meirm…@invalid.com)
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003

In alt.english.usage on 4 Sep 2003 18:53:01 -0700 noah71…@yahoo.co.jp
(Hase) posted:

>Please read the following sentences.
>
>One week later, the school principal gave Lee Vang an award.
>Reporters took his pictures and the mayor shook his hand.
>
>In the second sentence, should *his pictures* be replaced by *his
>picture*, a singular form?
>Someone told me that, in a case like this, no matter how many pictures
>the reporters take, it should be singular.
>What do you think?
>And, if possible, tell me why.

I think someone is right.  It's an idiom.  And it isn't necessary to
say pictures because the days of the 6-man camera are gone.  If there
are 6 reporters taking pictures**, they're going to take six pictures,
or more.

It would be ok to say, Reporters took pictures of him.

**You might ask, how come the reporters can take pictures, but they
can't take his pictures.  "take his picture" is an idiom that only
exists in the singular.

>Hase

s/ meirman    If you are emailing me please
say if you are posting the same response.

Born west of Pittsburgh Pa. 10 years
            Indianapolis,  7 years
            Chicago,        6 years
            Brooklyn NY    12 years