Re: Can a weak CMOS battery prevent detection of a drive

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Can a weak CMOS battery prevent detection of a drive
Posted by:  Norm Why (nobo…@microsoft.com)
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020

CMOS battery? Crazy idea, I know.

It took me all day to solve this problem. My Samsung SATA 2.0 boot drive
always work. The Barracuda SATA 3.0 SSD is finicky. I thought maybe a SATA
3.0 cable would work. Wrong. SATA 2.0 and SATA 3.0 are electrically
identical. The SATA 3.0  cable I tried had an elbow that made it
troublesome. SATA 2.0 cable is not.

I thought why is Barracuda SATA 3.0 SSD is finicky? Maybe bigshot does not
want to be slave. I rearranged the cables in the six available SATA ports.
Then I renamed drive E: to drive D: in Win10 and everything worked.

I ran CrystalDiskInfo and CrystalDiskMark and everything was fantastic.

Saved me a bundle of money not buying a new PC workstation. 12GB of RAM
works good.