Re: I think I know what killed my 80486... (perhaps it can be revived)

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: I think I know what killed my 80486... (perhaps it can be revived)
Posted by:  John Larkin (jlark…@highlandtechnology.com)
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015

On Sun, 31 May 2015 19:34:09 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
<skybuck20…@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>A few days ago or so my appartment was further cleaned, and some old
>electronics had to go.
>
>I wanted to test if an old monitor would still work, so I connected it to my
>80486.
>
>To my surprise, my beloved 486 would not turn on...
>
>I was shocked and surprised from all my computers I thought this one would
>last for ever.
>
>I wanted to keep it alive and cherish it... it was my first PC.
>
>I ended up connecting the monitor to my pentium to test it.
>
>A few crts had to go there were old, one was dead which I already knew...
>
>Anyway...
>
>I just came home from supermarkt shopping... all lights turn on... cleaning
>my appartment a little bit.
>
>And then it suddenly hit me ! (The light that is!)
>
>Suddenly I realized what killed my 80486/PC.
>
>It was the light/lamp on the ceiling that fell down a while ago.
>
>I had to replace light bulbs... and I did not connect it properly, the lamp
>I guess...
>
>I tightened it a bit too much... it burst... and then the glass bowl fell
>down and hit my pc very hard probably from gravity pulling all the way down.
>
>It hit the tower case of my 80486... on top of the tower was a keyboard...
>which probably also reduced the impact somewhat.
>
>I am not exactly sure what's wrong with the 80486, I have not opened it yet.
>
>I suspect the power supply, which was probably a very old cheap one from
>china must have bent somehow... or hit something inside.
>
>Turning it on might actually be a life-risk.
>
>I have seen the Pentium 3 power blow out too some time.
>
>I hope it's the power supply that's dead... or even better... just a loose
>cable maybe... I doubt it though... might be interesting to see sometime why
>a lamp bowl... would cause a PC malfunction... I have no idea what's wrong
>with it.
>
>I am not going to open it now... because I don't need the 486 right now...
>
>But maybe sometime in the future !
>
>But you can place your bets for honor right now.
>
>Take a big guess what you think broke it ?!
>
>Bye,
>  Skybuck =D

The good news is that those purple ceramic 486 chip packages make
great x-acto blade sharpeners.

--

John Larkin        Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing  laser drivers and controllers

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com