Re: Crucial Adrenaline

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Crucial Adrenaline
Posted by:  VanguardLH (..@nguard.LH)
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012

Roy Colson wrote:

> Would like an opinion on Crucial Adrenaline CT050M4SSC2BDA 50GB Solid
> State Cache for Windows 7-based PCs. I would install it on my desktop
> running Windows 7 Professional and Microsoft Virtual Drive running XP
> Professional

Here's the link that you omitted to describe the Solid State Cache
product:

http://www.crucial.com/store/ssc.aspx

Disadvantage: It's just a cache.

The first open on a file (for read or write) is still going to come from
your hard disk.  This is a *cache* product.  Well, until you put the
file into the cache it won't be there so you'll still be going to the
slower hard disk to get the file the first time.  Eventually entries get
pushed out of the cache which means going back to the slower hard disk
again.  You won't get the higher overall throughput of using an SSD.
Even the site acknowledges that by showing a graph of performance for
HDD, SSC, and SSD on their web page describing the product.

Advantage: Not having to transfer files from old to new drive.

The SSC is the same price as the SSD.  So why not go with an SSD?
Because the cache doesn't require you to transfer your OS and files from
an old hard disk to the new SSD.  The SSC slide in place with your old
hard disk so everything remains the same as before except for the power
load of the SSC and memory consumption for the background software
(hopefully a system service and not a user-mode process).

I haven't used the product but am wondering if there may be one other
advantage to users of older versions of Windows (pre-Vista) that don't
have support for sector alignment.  SSDs use a different alignment than
old HDDs (there are newer "advanced" drives the use the new alignment).
Vista, and later, have support for this whereas XP users have to run an
alignment utility; otherwise, performance will be very poor due to
misalignment.  Assuming this cache requires no change to the hard disk
then it adds a large fast cache to improve performance but without the
alignment concern.  You slide it in an existing [old] system too get a
big boost in speed - after the first time you've accessed a file (unless
their software preloads the cache with likely suspects).